Camping meal ideas – Campfire Omelettes
by Sarah Patel
Greeting fellow adventurers! As a globetrotting travel writer and an avid camper, I have come to understand the true value of a good breakfast during our exciting journeys. Mornings around the campfire offer an opportunity to savor the tranquility of nature while fueling ourselves for the day’s escapades. Today, I’m delighted to share with you a delicious and nourishing recipe for Campfire Omelettes. Packed with wholesome ingredients, these omelettes not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide the energy needed to conquer the trails that lie ahead. So, let’s dive into this delightful breakfast adventure!
Campfire Omelettes Recipe:
Nutritional Value (per serving):
- Calories: Approximately 350-400 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 10-15g
- Protein: 20-25g
- Fat: 25-30g
- Fiber: 2-4g
- 2 large eggs (free-range, if possible)
- 1 tablespoon milk or water
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, or your favorite)
- 1/4 cup diced bell peppers (red, green, or a mix of both)
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1/4 cup diced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup diced cooked ham or cooked sausage (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley, chives, or cilantro)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking oil or non-stick spray
Preparation before Camping:
To ensure a smooth camping breakfast experience, some preparation can be done in advance:
- In a resealable plastic bag or container, combine the diced bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, cooked ham or sausage (if using), and the chopped fresh herbs. Seal the bag or container and store it in your cooler.
- In a separate container, whisk the eggs, milk or water, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Store this mixture in another resealable plastic bag or a spill-proof container.
Camping Cooking Instructions:
- Start by preparing your campfire or camp stove to medium heat.
- Using a skillet or a small campfire-friendly pan, lightly grease the surface with cooking oil or non-stick spray.
- Pour the egg mixture from the plastic bag or container into the skillet, spreading it evenly.
- Sprinkle the prepared vegetable and herb mix over one half of the omelette.
- Add the shredded cheese on top of the vegetables.
- Let the omelette cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the eggs start to set and the cheese begins to melt.
- Using a spatula, carefully fold the omelette in half, covering the vegetable and cheese filling.
- Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until the omelette is fully cooked through and the cheese is gooey and delightful.
- Gently slide the omelette onto a plate and garnish with some extra fresh herbs, if desired.
Serve and Savor:
Enjoy your delicious Campfire Omelette while soaking in the beauty of nature around you. Pair it with some freshly brewed coffee or your favorite morning beverage for the perfect camping breakfast experience.
Remember, a good breakfast is essential for staying energized and ready to explore the wonders that await you on your camping journey. So, make the most of your mornings, embrace the great outdoors, and let the flavors of this Campfire Omelette fuel your adventurous spirit. Happy camping and bon appétit!
For more outdoor cooking ideas please take a look at our other posts
Sarah is a travel writer and photographer, with a passion for exploring new destinations and cultures. She's traveled extensively throughout the world and has written for several major travel publications. Sarah is also an avid camper and outdoor enthusiast, and loves to combine her love of travel with her love of the outdoors. She's always on the lookout for unique and off-the-beaten-path campsites