Camping breakfast ideas – Campfire Pancakes
by Sarah Patel
Greetings, fellow adventurers! Today, I’m thrilled to share with you a delightful recipe for Campfire Pancakes – an absolute gem among easy camping meals and the best camping meals you’ll ever savor. Picture fluffy pancakes, kissed by the campfire’s warmth, and topped with an array of mouthwatering toppings. This breakfast delight promises to fuel your outdoor escapades with joy and satisfaction.
Campfire Pancakes Recipe: Nutritional Value (per serving, without toppings):
- Calories: Approximately 200-250 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 30-35g
- Protein: 5-7g
- Fat: 5-7g
- Fiber: 1-2g
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg (free-range, if possible)
- 1 cup buttermilk (or milk if buttermilk is unavailable)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil
- Cooking spray or butter for greasing
Preparation before Camping:
To ensure easy camp meals, prepare the pancake mix at home and store it in a resealable plastic bag or an airtight container. In a separate container, pack the wet ingredients (egg, buttermilk, and melted butter or oil). Securely store both containers in your cooler.
Camping Cooking Instructions:
- Begin by preparing your campfire or camp stove, placing a griddle or flat cast-iron pan over medium heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the wet ingredients: the egg, buttermilk, and melted butter or oil.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Don’t overmix; a few lumps are okay.
- Grease the griddle or pan with cooking spray or butter.
- Ladle the pancake batter onto the hot surface, making pancakes of your desired size.
- Cook until bubbles form on the surface, then flip the pancakes and cook the other side until golden brown.
Prepare to Take Camping:
Store the dry pancake mix in a resealable plastic bag or an airtight container, and pack the wet ingredients in a spill-proof container. For an even more convenient option, you can pre-mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients in a single container, ensuring you have an easy-to-use pancake batter at the campsite.
- Classic Maple Syrup and Butter
- Fresh Berries (Blueberries, Strawberries) and Whipped Cream
- Sliced Bananas and Nutella
- Chopped Nuts and Honey
- Greek Yogurt and Mixed Fruit
- Lemon Zest and Powdered Sugar
- Peanut Butter and Jelly
Serve and Savor:
Gather around the campfire and savor the joy of Campfire Pancakes, tailor-made to your preferred toppings. From the classic combo of maple syrup and butter to creative variations that suit your taste, these fluffy delights are sure to make breakfast the highlight of your camping adventure. So, get ready to flip, stack, and indulge in the best camping meals nature has to offer! Happy camping and bon appétit!
Sarah is a travel writer and photographer, with a passion for exploring new destinations and cultures. She's traveled extensively throughout the world and has written for several major travel publications. Sarah is also an avid camper and outdoor enthusiast, and loves to combine her love of travel with her love of the outdoors. She's always on the lookout for unique and off-the-beaten-path campsites